The Battle of the Chateauguay National Historic Site Launches New Season

A historic landmark opens for the summer season.

Stephanie McBride info@stephmcbride.com
Publié le 21 juin 2016

The Canadian Voltigeurs will be on the site July 9-10.

©TC Média Archives

On Saturday, June 18th, the Battle of the Chateauguay National Historic Site opened its doors for the summer season. Located in Ormstown, the site honours the Battle of Chateauguay, which originally took place on October 26th, 1813.

That day, the efforts of soldiers (led by Charles-Michel de Salaberry) resulted in the repelling of American forces—forever changing the course of history. This year is an especially notable one for the historical site given that Canada celebrates its 150th anniversary this July 1st (the site will be open to all free of charge on Canada Day).

Among the special events planned this year, the site will welcome the second edition of the event Canadian Military History in the Spotlight and 0-5-30 Challenge in September—an occasion that was widely enjoyed by locals last year, with nearly 250 participants. In addition, historic re-enactments by light infantry unit The Canadian Voltigeurs (July 9-10), Canada Day celebrations will resurrect the site. All of these activities make for a perfect opportunity to come and enjoy the beauty of the landscape and the in-depth history of the site. Visitors are also able to visit the Interpretation Centre and a groomed trail (which spans 15 km) designed to help visitors educate themselves about the events that took place on October 26, 1813. The chess room, an area depicting the living conditions of the militia, a genealogy station as well as the belvedere and its interactive scale model, will also be open to the public.

“The Battle of the Chateauguay National Historic Site is rich in History and highlights the importance of the battle that occurred on October 26th, 1813, when the American invasion was repelled by a small group of Canadian combatants who would, without knowing it, change the course of history. We are pleased to invite the public to discover this enchanting and truly inspiring place,” said Carole Loiselle, Director of Mauricie and Western Quebec Field Unit of the Parks Canada Agency.

Visitors have until September 5th to visit the local landmark until it closes for the season.